The lifeblood of criminal and many other investigations is information. In the course of most investigations, law enforcement professionals are faced with a multitude of information in differing formats. This can range from their own notes to crime scene reports, records of interviews, crime scene and suspect photographs, fingerprint lifts, suspect and evidentiary documents, emails, communication interception logs, etc.
The ability to receive, input, validate, collate, analyze and manage information in an orderly and systematic fashion can significantly impact the outcome of an investigation and the ability of an investigator or prosecutor to compile a case that includes all available evidence in a format that is understandable and logical.
This is particularly so in complex financial investigations which are usually very document intensive. Specifically, they involve various types of records such as bank account information, real estate files, motor vehicle ownership, sources of funds and expenditures, etc., which point to the movement of money. Any record that pertains to or shows the paper trail of events involving money is important - the major goal in a financial investigation is to identify and document the movement of money. The link between a fund source and its destination can provide proof of criminal activity.
Successful management of the many and varied strands of a complex investigation can best be achieved by utilizing a computer-based case management system that provides a comprehensive, yet flexible, solution to the needs of investigators and prosecutors. UNODC's goCASE software provides such a solution.
goCASE is intended to be used within an organizations' investigation and intelligence operations and aims to be the primary instrument for initiating and tracking petitions, informant reports, legal cases, intelligence packages and other processes, which Law Enforcement Agency management plans to automate in a centralized information system. The target audience of goCASE is essentially management and resources involved in different duties and roles along the life cycle of investigation and intelligence cases in any organization.
The core objectives of goCASE are streamlining the investigations case processes as well as increasing investigations' efficiency. Its competitive advantage lies in its integrated workflow engine which not only controls the investigation life cycle but also adapts to different workflow procedures and investigation categories. Central to goCASE is also a Data Management module that facilitates the capturing, storing and retrieving of all types of information, individuals, documents, events and exhibits related to a case. goCASE provides an electronic storage facility for various types of documents which allows the efficient and controlled distribution of case files according to the definded roles and permissions within goCASE.
The goCASE application ensures security and integrity of investigation information by creating multiple advanced security features and also maintaining a detailed audit trail. Its built-in Investigator Actions Checklist supports decision-making and adherence to guidelines. A robust but flexible reporting module enhances its usability further. The graphic representation of data assists analysts/users to further analyze and assess the trends and patterns in investigative processes.
- Its intuitive portal allows quick access to information and tools, which empowers case officers with swift and efficient case handling.
- Its content management module (CMM) provides a secure environment for storing documents both private folders as well as public folders.
- Automatic alerts through the Message Board on goCASE portal notify and escalate case activities to the right people at the right time.
- Lawsuit Management Module of goCASE connects the case file with the judicial process and allows storing of court proceedings and judgments.
- The user-interface of goCASE and all its reference tables have been designed to support various languages.
- goCASE maintains comprehensive audit trails to track all activities in the Workflow History Log for each case hence ensuring integrity of data.
- goCASE uses XML (the universal data format for publishing and exchanging structured documents on the Internet) for information exchange.
- Its robust and flexible reporting module offers a rich list of reports grouped by operational requirements. (Investigative purposes, management, statistics etc.)
- Windows-based smart client interface
- Centralized installation and automatic updates of new releases
- Supported database servers are Microsoft SQL 2008.